AYRSHIRE COASTAL PATH recognised by G&SA BIOSPHERE
The environmental merits of Ayr Rotary Club’s Ayrshire Coastal Path have been recognised by the Galloway and Southern Ayrshire Biosphere.
Biosphere Reserves, usually referred to as Biospheres, are places with world-class environments that are designated to promote and demonstrate a balanced relationship between people and nature. They are places which value and protect the biological and cultural diversity of a region while promoting environmentally sustainable economic development. They are places of cooperation, education and research where local communities, environmental groups, and businesses can work together. Biospheres are established through the United Nations Educational, Scientific, and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) Programme on Man and the Biosphere (MAB). A Biosphere Reserve is a place of cooperation and collaboration that show that a sustainable way of living is not only possible but already happening!
A Biosphere has three main functions:
- Conservation: promoting the preservation of wildlife, habitats and landscape.
- Learning: supporting a better understanding of nature and global issues.
- Development: fostering a sustainable economy and society.
Biosphere designation provides Galloway and Southern Ayrshire with an opportunity to take a lead in developing more sustainable ways of living that will benefit the environment, economy and community of the area and ultimately act as an example of good practice within UNESCO’s worldwide network of Biosphere Reserves. The Ayrshire Coastal Path management team are proud to support the Biosphere by improving and promoting the sustainability of the region and by agreeing with the six principles of the Biosphere Charter:
- Help to conserve the natural resources of the Biosphere
- Support the economy to benefit people and nature
- Promote cultural heritage and local products
- Contribute to the health and well-being of the community
- Develop knowledge, understanding and promote research
- Raise awareness of the Galloway and Southern Ayrshire Biosphere
For more information on Galloway and Southern Ayrshire Biosphere visit http://www.gsabiosphere.org.uk/
For more information on the Ayrshire Coastal Path visit https://ayrshirecoastalpath.org/